About Kathryn Walton
Hello, I’m Kathryn Walton. Welcome to my website! My vision is to create a healthier, happier world by supporting you to take the actions you need to truly care for yourself in a sustainable, loving and effective way.
I love being able to make a difference to the mental health and wellbeing of women just like you. I also offer services and resources for families, communities and workplaces because I believe that health is a shared responsibility.
What I do
I’m in the business of improving mental health through:
• providing outdoor-based and bush adventure programs
• connecting people with nature
• facilitating women’s health retreats
• consulting and delivering workplace mental health and wellbeing programs, and
• personal and professional coaching for women
Why I do it
I’m a big believer that no matter where you live, it’s important to live an active lifestyle. The evidence is absolutely clear that when you move more, you are much more likely to enjoy good health including mental health. Likewise, when you spend time outdoors in nature, your health and well-being also benefit.
I’ve felt the difference in my own life and I know you will too. I simply love my daily bushwalks and bike rides where I live on the Southern Downs in South East Queensland. And I really notice the drop in my energy levels and mood when I miss a day. I’ve spent the past 17 years supporting my counselling clients and workshop participants to get out and get active and I’ve witnessed amazing improvements in their mental health too. Physical activity and being in nature are particularly helpful for managing low mood, stress levels, and anxiety. I’m so passionate about bush adventure and nature therapy that I now work almost exclusively in nature-based settings!
Transform your life!
I can guide you to transform your life, find inner calmness, and up-level your mental health and wellness through:
- outdoor and adventurous activities such as bushwalking and camping
- nature-based retreats, gentle walks and meditation
- workplace professional development days
- 1:1 personal or professional coaching (also available via Zoom)
You'll gain valuable life and work skills in a fun and relaxed environment, overcome your fears and rise to new challenges as you experience the amazing benefits of integrating the best mental health knowledge with outdoors activities that you enjoy.
Accreditations and qualifications
- Accredited Mental Health Social Worker (AMHSW)
- Bachelor of Social Work (B Soc Wk)
- Master of Social Work (M Soc Wk)
- Level O MTB Skills Instructor
- Bushwalking Guide Intermediate Environments
- Current First Aid Certificate (Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation; Provide basic emergency life support; Provide first aid)
- Medicare Provider Number
- Working With Children Blue Card
- Over 30 years experience including child and youth mental health, youth mental health, women’s mental health, child protection, school counselling, sandplay therapy and symbol work, community health and private practice (individual, couples and family counselling; provision of mental health training programs)
- Mother, wife, friend, colleague, community member, podcaster and writer
“I have been a GP in Warwick since 1994 and have been working collaboratively with Kathryn Walton since 2005. She has been involved with our medical practice both as an educator and as a very valued colleague to whom I have referred many patients over the years. Kathryn’s approach to her work is one of complete professionalism, focussing on exemplary patient and family care. Her commitment reflects the excellent clinical outcomes of her patients.” (Dr Louise Clarke, Condamine Medical Centre, Warwick)
“I've known Kathryn Walton in her professional capacity over several years; firstly, when I saw her for counselling, and where I found her to be a down-to-earth, warm, and intelligent presence in the therapeutic relationship. I have since referred other clients to her, in my capacity as a counselling colleague. Since that time, Kathryn and I have worked together developing and running women’s wellness programs, and I have relied upon and appreciated her capacity for connection, insight, and a clear understanding of the needs of our client group and individuals. She is also a fabulous organiser! Kathryn reaches out into the community with continuing courage, wisdom and integrity as she develops her practice.” (Client then Colleague)
“I have worked with Kathryn on interagency teams as well as attending her workshops and retreats for many years. I have found her positive, gentle manner invites active involvement by her workshop participants. Kathryn's professional approach and extensive knowledge of mental health means programs she designs are of a high quality.” (Helen McFarlane, Retired Senior Guidance - Education)
“Kathryn’s professional development groups have assisted me on my journey of self-reflection in both my professional and personal life. The relaxed and open way that Kathryn facilitates these groups creates a safe space for sharing and learning. Some of the practical tools I learnt during these sessions have proven to be invaluable to my self-care toolkit and I use them all the time.
Kathryn is able to help group participants to create positive change in their lives by implementing practical and user friendly techniques to reflect and bring awareness when an issue is present.” (Heidi Davidson)
“I just wanted to say a huge thank you for all of the help that you gave me over the last few years. You were a true sounding board for me at times when I had so much going on that I could barely see straight and somehow helped me to sort through the muddle that I often felt my mind was. I truly appreciate your good work, and your unbiased approach. You do great work and what you do makes such a difference to people and their lives. Thank you very much.” (Counselling Client)